Monday, February 7, 2011

2/7

From now on, I think, I won't force myself to title every page. Some days are just smorgasbords of goodies, like today, and it's really tough to sum it all up without calling every day "A Good Day."

In Composition today, we learned about melodies, and types of motion and phrases and contour and accents and text setting. My professor usually gives funny examples of how to do something wrong before (or instead of) giving one that shows how to do something correctly. Today's was how awfully "Walk Like An Egyptian" by the Bangles was set, to show us that music sounds better with certain syllables emphasized, and this usually means emphasizing them naturally; you don't say pain-TINGS, you shouldn't sing it either.

Everything you could possibly want to know about Beginner's Music Composition is on my professor's website, which is open to anyone in the whole world to look at. I think that's pretty cool.


Then Jennifer Barnes did a master class during my Singers rehearsal time, and she was very good.

They interviewing a few people for the spot that Paris Rutherford had before he retired, director of Vocal Jazz Studies at UNT. Just so you know.

I didn't have percussion group rehearsal today, but I did have a lesson at 2:30, which went pretty well.

African Ensemble learned Gahu today:


It's not as hard as the one before.

And I went to the library and got a lot of Mendelssohn, stuff for Comp and my jazz lecture thing, and Frank Zappa's "Apostrophe."

Generally, a good day, and a good start to what should be a good week.

M

1 comment:

  1. Hope it is a GREAT week! Loved the pictures from the concert. Just starting to snow again here, with lots of wind this time. Dad and I went to the BK booster meeting tonight. SO much stuff to volunteer for! They also said they took out one show from tour-the first one after the Denver show that you can stay in the area for one day. Time for repairs, laundry, etc before hitting the road again. Thanks for all the great posts. I look forward to them every night. Stay warm. Mom

    ReplyDelete