Tuesday, February 1, 2011

2/1

Sorry about yesterday.

Yesterday I skipped composition to practice for percussion ensemble. Singers was alright, percussion ensemble went pretty well. African ensemble was really confusing. And I went to an interesting concert later that night, showcasing percussion and live electronics.

This is adzogbo, what we learned in African Ensemble:






































Basically, the gankogui and the two lower drums are in 4, but the two shekere parts and the kagan (or kidi, in this notation) are playing in three. To make it more complicated, the kagan plays in the holes where the first shekere isn't, and the two lower drums alternate their pattern.

It blew our minds.

The percussion concert had two multi-percussion pieces, a piece for amplified maracas, and hi-hat. They all either had a backing track or had a nifty computer program follow their movements and play it back to them in all sorts of cool ways. It was really complicated and awesome, but probably not for much more than the hour that the concert was.

Today, I haven't done anything, just because I haven't felt like it. It's a snow day, and tomorrow's a snow day, for minimal snowfall and blowing snow, possibly ice, I don't really know, I haven't been outside yet.

So I won't have anything to write about tomorrow.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment