Monday, February 7, 2011

2/6 - Random Stuff.

Hey everyone.

Whoever said Tuvan Throat Singing was sick... thanks?

I appreciate it.

I've decided I should organize all of the videos and photos and stuff of all of my musical adventures. So tomorrow I'll attempt to put all of my music pictures in one spot, and I'll put a link up here.

There's already a video version of that, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/user/dawizard737

I'm trying to upload a video of the big band that formed out of boredom here at Bruce on Wednesday, but it's going to take two hours. I think I'd rather go to bed.

I'll do it in the morning.

But, for now, I can talk about the concert I went to Saturday, I guess.

On Saturday, I went to see D'Drum perform Gamelan D'Drum, a piece written by Stewart Copeland (from the Police) for the 5 member percussion ensemble and orchestra. It was awesome.


I wish there was a recording of the piece somewhere, and there probably will be eventually. But since it's new, I don't really have anything to reference. Generally, it was fantastic, and if they ever do it again, I highly recommend it.

After an intermission, the orchestra played Mendelssohn's 3rd Symphony in A minor, Opus 56 "Scottish." I liked it a lot, and I sat right behind the timpanist; it was a treat to not only see up close how he played every note but to kind of follow along in his part.


Here's what the stage looked like from my seat. I lucked out.


From the left, you'll see the gamelan gongs, small and large, various hand drums, the most awesome rainstick ever, 5 djembes, a marimba with crotales, their ethnic drumset, a cimbalom, and a rice... crusher... thing, to be used with the stick that's in front of the cimbalom. Off stage to the left were some wooden wind chime things, and they were played by an electric fan.


From the left, you'll see the huge bass drum, two metallophones (probably gender), a black vibraphone, reyong (the little tuned gongs in the red chest), and two large gongs accompanied by large drums on the side.


Some of the brass players also had those wooden frogs... the ones that have ridges on their back, and if you run a stick along the ridges, it sounds like a frog.

I was about to say that this was the best 15 dollars I'd ever spent on a concert, but it's pretty tough to beat Ravi Shankar. Sorry guys.

M

Update:

Here's the video:




The intro is pretty rough, I'll admit. But it's still cool that it just happened in the lobby of my dorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment