Wednesday, October 20, 2010

10/19 (really) - Some great songs.

It's Tuesday. I took a test in class and talked about another today. So I didn't learn very much. Bummer.

But I did find a couple of little awesome tidbits of musical... things.

First, I transcribed a Bela Fleck banjo solo today. Part of it is in B major, and part is in D, and it switches between them. I think what he's done is record it twice, in two different tunings and settings or environments, and put them together. It sounds pretty cool. So if you can find the bonus track version, not the original, of "Throw Down Your Heart," check it out.

I knew there was no way he had a low b and a low d string.

How many second sopranos does it take to change a light bulb?
None of them can reach that high.

And I heard some pretty great songs today, just out and about.

I went to the Jazz Repertory Ensemble concert today, and they played a bunch of donated charts from a radio program back in the 50's. There was much trumpet squealing and trombone blaring and clarinet...ing and good times to be had all around.

They played a swung Flight of the Bumblebee. It was silly.

But they also played a crazy trumpet duet called "Well, Git It!" and a great bari solo called "Cook's Tour". And they played Hey Ba-Ba-Re-Bop. Yes.

Finally, turn your bass up a little bit and put on Stevie Wonder's "Do I Do". Mmmm. Toasty.

Most of these things you can youtube, except Cook's Tour.

Concert tomorrow! Come if you can, if you read this. 9 at the Syndicate (in the Union), bring a little cash (just a little). I'm singing all sorts of smooth stuff. Definitely worth being at.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment