Thursday, October 7, 2010

10/07 - Why You Rock

October is the month where the freshmen in college say, "is my major really right for me? I mean, what if I'm not really that good?" Happy October, everyone!

See, October is the month where your lessons teachers get sick of you falling behind and your professors get sick of you not knowing the assignments or not turning something in, and they get really scary when they get mad. Also, October's the month when you lose the privilege of dropping a class without it showing up on your transcript, and we don't really consider how screwed we could be in a class until we don't have any options.

Fortunately I'm only barely in one of those situations, so it's not too bad. But I still question if I should really be doing what I'm doing. At UNT, all of the music students have passed a pretty tough audition, and they're all pretty incredible at what they do. So I'm surrounded by people that totally rock, and I guess I don't feel as awesome as I used to feel.

But remember you didn't just pick your major out of the blue, most of you. It was probably something you were really passionate about, or something you were good at, something you understand. Just remember, you couldn't have gotten into college in your major standing where you are without being pretty good stuff. So, without being cocky, make a list of all of the stuff that makes you totally the bees knees:

- I can sing, and I'm a drummer
- I can count, and I'm a singer. (Ha!)
- I can play piano, at least pretty well.
- I have perfect pitch, which is cheating just as much using a more expensive car that you payed for in a race. (It's not. Stop complaining.)
- I understand theory! YAY!
- I'm pretty decent at timpani, which isn't true across the board here yet.
- I can sight read pretty well.
- When I find a piece I enjoy, I can sit and practice it for hours.
- I can play some world music, and I love it a lot. I have a cajon, and those are legit.
- I also have a freaking clay pot drum.
- What I lack in chops, I make up for in smarts. Typically.
- I'm pretty quick to change if I'm told to correct something.

So, sure, I'm not the typical percussionist, or vocal jazz singer, or set player, but I've somehow found a way to combine all three with reasonable success.

Find the things that set you apart from all of the other people you're competing with. You're pretty sweet.

And remember, for most majors, you don't really have to know specific classes to take or have a strict plan until, like, your sophomore year. So you've still got a while, everyone. Well. People my age.

You rock. The end.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment