Thursday, October 7, 2010

10/06 - The first step to success

The first step to success is motivation. You can't succeed without it, and if somehow you end up successful without it, it was worthless.

Anything that drives you to do something is motivation. And motivation can be anything, your parents, your friends, your family, your peers, your rivals, your teachers, your idols, anything. But the best motivation is ultimately yourself. You'll push hardest when you and you alone are the only one who cares to push you.

So find your motivation. Start improving yourself in areas you want to be better, even if it's not in your "career" or your major. No one is holding you back, no one is pushing against you, and no one ever will. Learn to cook, write a song, learn statistics, write a poem, learn to tango, take a biology class, go to Spain. Whatever you want to do to make yourself better. That's the ultimate goal, and you have to have motivation to get yourself there.

In my mallets lessons recently, I had to learn a two mallet solo. Maybe it was a little hard for me, but most of my roadblock was I didn't really enjoy it. I wasn't learning it because I wanted to, I was learning it because Jake wanted me to, and it just didn't feel the same as motivating myself. But today I told myself, I'm going to learn that famous Bach prelude in C major, and it's going to pretty freakin good. And after a while it was. I barely even took a break in an hour and a half. And I did learn it, and it felt great, because I learned something on my own accord.

Sorry this one's kinda short.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment