Wednesday, May 4, 2011

5/4 - What I'll Do Soon

This semester was cool and all, but hopefully this summer and next semester will top it.

This summer, I'm playing timpani with the Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps. We tour all over the United States (except for like Montana and some of New England, unfortunately) for two months this summer and we've been working on music and the show in general since December. I'm equally excited and nervous, but it should be a blast, and I'll come back with a sweet tan, mad timpani chops, hopefully a sweet bod, and little energy left to start school.



But, I will start school, and it'll be a lot of fun.

Next semester, I'm signed up for Brazilian and Afro-Cuban Ensembles, which I'm really looking forward to. Jose Aponte seems like a funny, sweet dude who really knows what he's doing, and it should be a blast.

Oh, and I'm doing advanced South Indian next semester. Since Colin Hinton is going to Brooklyn to make a name for himself, hopefully I can play set in there a little bit, but I'm really just excited to play anything in there. I missed having my mind blown weekly and Sriji's accent this semester.

If you don't know who Colin is, by the way, you should look him up. He's a really creative, funny drummer with some crazy rhythmic chops in general, and if you're in NY you should help him get a gig. Thanks for the help, Colin.



I might be in an intro to Ethnomusicology class, but I can't remember. I really would like to dip my foot in that pool, since it was something I was considering as a major (even if I never got around to it). It's something I've always been interested in, so hopefully it will be enlightening but not overpowering.

Next semester I'm taking mallet lessons with Ryan Kilgore and drumset lessons with Henry Okstel. I've heard excellent things about both of them, and I'm excited for a new perspective on my mallet technique and for some real insight on my jazz stuff. Hopefully I don't have to change too much...?

I should still be in Singers next semester, and I would like to be in a percussion ensemble again. I also might be in a concert band or orchestra, since I'm doing those auditions, and I'll also audition for the jazz bands to hopefully make it into one of those labs. If all goes well, I'll be super busy with labs, which is the best kind of super busy.

I filled out a volunteer form for KNTU, the UNT radio station. They have student djs for the majority of their content, and I've always wanted to host something like that. I would probably have to listen to more jazz to be a jazz dj, but I'm open to whatever they want me to host.

I will probably be in a house next semester with the Senor Fin folks, which is, for the most part, really exciting. I guess I never realized that I would be 18 years old and looking for my own place, but it's pretty exhilarating. When I get back in the fall, I'll have my own room, and my own place to send mail and park my bike and call home.

Well. I guess that's all I've got for right now. I'm going to go practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment