Monday, September 24, 2012

9/24 - What I'm Listening To: An Internet Mixtape

Since I've come back to school, I've come across some wonderful music. I'm just writing this down to keep track of all of the cool stuff I've found, but feel free to listen to it. It's all great.

1. Flying Lotus - Putty Boy Strut.

This is a really interesting combination of acoustic and electronic instruments, live musicians and samples, and all different kinds of music. I haven't looked into much of his older stuff, but his new album really excites me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuQGfk9Gmgo

2. Dan Deacon - Guilford Avenue Bridge

Dan Deacon is becoming one of my favorite modern-day musician/composers, and his new album "America" is a great work, probably my favorite album of his. This song is the first track on the album, and it's quite the opener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8QNkb1ETSM

3. A Love Supreme - John Coltrane

Alright, I'm definitely late to the party on this one. I had heard the album before, but I recently acquired it to keep for my own personal use, and I've been listening to it a lot. Elvin Jones is truly a genius on this album.

4. Too Late to Topologize - Zammuto

Nick Zammuto was formerly a member of one of my favorite music groups, The Books. However, the group recently split up, and Zammuto kept making his own music. It sounds a lot like the books to me, without the samples, because that wasn't his job, but is somehow different and original. I'm looking forward to seeing him in October.

5. Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven - Godspeed You! Black Emperor

This is a full album as well, but you really can't listen to it as "songs" or "tracks." It's a musical voyage that everyone should experience, so if you have a little more than an hour, open up your mind and take all of the sound in.

6. The Goat Rodeo Sessions - Yo Yo Ma, Chris Thile, Edgar Meyer and Stuart Duncan

This is a beautiful collaboration of four musicians that are arguably the best at their respective instruments. They each have their own quirks and things that make them interesting to watch in their own right, so combining them all is quite a trip.

7. Pete Seeger, in general. He's an amazing person; never afraid to speak his mind, and always making thought-provoking, yet lovable music. He's a gift, and so is his music.

8. groundUP - Snarky Puppy

I saw them in Denton last week, two nights in a row. They always put on of the best concerts of the semester, every semester, and this semester they didn't disappoint. They even brought up one of our UNT professors to come jam with them, and he was amazing! All of the musicians in this group are extremely talented, and Michael League's writing and leadership are amazing.

9. Kimchi OM - AMP Trio

This is a trio of my friends, UNT jazz students, who have come together to play really inspirational music. All of them are great improvisers and are very comfortable behind their instruments, and they work together so well. I'm looking forward to seeing them play some time.

10. Hi Custodian - The Dirty Projectors

This is really a film, and not an album, though it is based off of the Dirty Projector's most recent release, "Swing Lo Magellan." The film, produced by the band's lead singer, David Longstreth, is, well, interesting, to say the least. I can't say that I understand it, though maybe I shouldn't, but I still find it entertaining. The music is all taken from the previously mentioned album and pulled and tweaked really well to be used as a film soundtrack.

11. These Days - St. Vincent

Annie Clark, the woman who is or is behind St. Vincent, is now extensively collaborating with David Byrne. Their group has a very unique sound, and I don't think I've warmed up to it yet. But, in search for more Annie Clark-related music, I stumbled upon this Jackson Browne cover, and I think it's beautiful. The original is great on its own, but this version recreates a similar mood in her own brilliant way.

12. Denton Music

There are a lot of great bands developing in the Denton music scene, I'll let you look them up on your own though, since I'm getting sleepy:
  • - Pageantry
  • - Avec Souci
  • - The Demigs
  • - Sacco and Vanzetti

Sweet. I'm really tired. Being busy is fun, and all, but it sure does wear you out.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment