Monday, October 3, 2011

10/3 - I'm composing again!

So it's a new month, and this weekend I found some inspiration to do more things than I usually do, which is really awesome. I cleaned all sorts of dishes, and decorated my room a little bit, and didn't sleep all day. But most importantly, I came up with some new musical ideas, and I'm pretty excited about them.

Yesterday I was reading all of John Cage's writings when I found a journal that he wrote a year before he died in 1992. It contains a list of blurbs and thoughts about music, quotes from authors and philosophers, and simple ideas. I tried all day Sunday to think of ways to communicate each line correctly through music, probably a multi-percussion set-up that includes marimba, maybe another keyboard instrument and then a bunch of percussive noises, none of which really need to be any specific sound. I'll post the list in a separate post.

I had a dream last night where everyone I knew "sent" me a sound and I could just pull it out of the sky and put wherever I wanted it to be, and I could use all of my friends sounds and make something awesome out of them. So I asked a bunch of people to send me their favorite sound, and you can too, if you want; just record something and email it to mklynass93@aol.com. Please, keep it short, clean, and simple, but I would love your input.

Snarky Puppy is playing here in Denton tonight, and I am very excited.

M


No comments:

Post a Comment